You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 130629  

Print Page


No Image Available

IoE Number: 130629
Location: SHERBORNE HOUSE,
  SHERBORNE, COTSWOLD, GLOUCESTERSHIRE
Photographer: N/A
Date Photographed: N/A
Date listed: 23 January 1952
Date of last amendment: 25 March 1987
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

SHERBORNESHERBORNE VILLAGESP 16149/191Sherborne House(formerly listed as23.1.52Sherborne Park)

SHERBORNE SHERBORNE VILLAGE SP 1614 9/191 Sherborne House (formerly listed as 23.1.52 Sherborne Park) GV II* Former country house converted into flats 1982. On site of former grange/hunting lodge to Winchcombe Abbey. Probably executed by Valentine Strong of Taynton for John Dutton, rebuilt by Lewis Wyatt 1829-1834. Interior decoration of principal rooms by Anthony Salvin c1841. Ashlar. Slate roof with ashlar stacks, basically square plan with courtyard at centre. Short passage linking house to church (q.v.) on north side. Three-storey, 3;5;1;5;2;1-windowed facade. Three-storey porch off-centre left. Wing projects forwards left, shorter wing towards right-hand end. Three- windowed, 3-storey bay window left of porch, similar 2-windowed bay to right-hand return of wing to left. Fenestration left of porch; 4-pane sashes to ground floor. Stone-mullioned ovolo-moulded cross windows to right-hand return of wing to right and to first floor. Two-light ovolo-moulded stone-mullioned casements to second floor. All stone-mullioned casements with horizontal glazing bars. Three- storey projecting porch with moulded round-headed entrance arch with imposts and keystone. Double door with 6 fielded panels and large oval ceiling boss decorated with lobster within porch. Cross window to floor above with moulded architrave and square-sectioned stone mullion. Two-light stone-mullioned casement with matching architrave and square-sectioned mullion above. Similar fenestration right of porch. Sash windows to second and third floors. Engaged columns on projecting engaged plinths flanking each window. Ionic capitals to columns on ground floor. Corinthian capitals to upper floors. Parapet rising from wide string with brackets below. South front is of similar style but with rusticated stonework to ground floor. Engaged columns on second floor rising from projecting consoles. Rainwater heads decorated with 5-feather motif. Subsidiary features; steps up to south side of house flanked by stone balustrade. Ornate wrought- iron gates incorporating the initial 'S' at top of step flanked by low square piers with ball finials. Three-storey canted bay facing into courtyard at centre of house. 'Cloister'-like covered walk with a round-headed arched arcade, around part of courtyard. Interior; former hallway with plastered intersecting beams. C19 fireplace with paired fluted columns with Ionic capitals supporting a panelled ogee-curved canopy. Spiral staircase inserted C19 at south end. C19 heraldic glass in windows of hallway. Lord Sherborne's study (Flat 2) left of entrance. Doorway with triangular pediment. Large C19 fireplace with projecting canopy decorated with eclectic motifs. Smaller fireplace with lugged surround. Simple ceiling cornice incorporating tulip motif. Small area of ceiling decorated with 5-petal flower motif within lattice. Library Flat (no 11) incorporates barrel vaulted cellar with moulded stops to ribs of barrel. The library retains its mid C19 appearance including its finely carved bookshelves and mirrors. Marble fireplace with egg and dart moulding. Fielded dado. Moulded architraves with carved faces and festoon decoration over door. Ornate moulded ceiling rose and cornice. Dining room (flat 18); fielded dado, fielded 8-panel doors within architraves with acanthus decoration; carved faces and festoons above. Ornate wooden fire surround decorated with cornucopias, consoles either side with hanging fruit below. Extremely fine moulded plasterwork decoration to ceiling with casement moulded cornice with scallop shells at corners, continuous vine scroll motif along lower edge of cornice. Finely executed ceiling rose. Main staircase C19 with C17 style splat balusters. Stairs within north wing possibly retain C17 turned balusters, newels with sunken panel decoration and pierced finials replaced C19. Ballroom; reduced in size by one bay C20, cornice and dado reproduced on new partition wall. White marble fireplace with original mirror above. Ceiling with ornate plasterwork decoration. Plasterwork ceilings in principal rooms described all by Anthony Salvin (pupil of John Nash). History; property of the Dutton family from c1552-1970. James Dutton created first Lord Sherborne by George III in 1784. Mid C19 alterations were carried out by James, third Lord Sherborne. (David Verey, The Buildin s of England; The Cotswolds, 1979; Engraving by Kip in Atkyn's History of Gloucestershire, published in 1711; Sherborne House, Connoisseur, May 1911 (XXX); and February 1912 The Renovation of Sherborne House, Gloucestershire and Avon Life, August 1982; photographs of interior in National Monuments Record)

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.