You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 135336  

Print Page



© Mr Glyn Edmunds EFIAP,AMPA,ARPS

IoE Number: 135336
Location: WARBLINGTON CASTLE, CHURCH LANE
  HAVANT, HAVANT, HAMPSHIRE
Photographer: Mr Glyn Edmunds EFIAP,AMPA,ARPS
Date Photographed: 13 October 1999
Date listed: 16 May 1952
Date of last amendment: 06 February 1984
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

SU 70 NWHAVANTCHURCH LANEWarblington16.5.524/40Warblington Castle

SU 70 NW HAVANT CHURCH LANE Warblington 16.5.52 4/40 Warblington Castle GV (formerly listed as Remai of Warblington Castle) II* The surviving fragment of a large Tudor courtyard house, surrounded by a moat, and built for Margaret Pole (Countess of Salisbury), between 1514 and 1526; virtually demolished at the end of the Civil War (1643). What remains is part of the gateway tower, including the moulded stone arch of the gate, some of the south wall of the tower, a complete south-east octagonal stair turret, of 5 storeys, and part of the east wall (facing the courtyard). Red brick walling in English bond with stone dressings, the turret having a castellated top, drip moulds at each storey, and small rectangular openings, and a doorway. The walling extending from the turret westwards (originally internal) is of brickwork, with a fragment of castellated top; that extending northwards has a stone face, the drip moulds from the turret continuing as far as the jambs (1st, 2nd and 3rd floors) of windows, and to the inner gateway arch. Small later outshot at the south side is flanked by stone walling, to form a shed. Ancient Monument.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.