© Mr Stuart Goodall
KING JOHN'S PALACE (SITUATED TO WEST OF TUDOR HOUSE MUSEUM), BLUE ANCHOR LANE
SOUTHAMPTON, SOUTHAMPTON, HAMPSHIRE
Mr Stuart Goodall
16 July 2000
14 July 1953
Date of last amendment:
14 July 1953
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
1. BLUE ANCHOR LANE
King John's Palace
(situated to west
of Tudor House Museum)
(formerly listed under
SU 4111 3/38 14.7.53
Circa 1170. Early C14 and mid-C14. Remains of a merchant's house, the ground
floor originally used for storage and the upper floor as living quarters.
It originally stood on the quayside. The west wall was incorporated in the
city defences after the French raid of 1338. The roof was removed in the
early C20. Two storeys stone. North and west arcades have original C12 windows
of 2 round-headed lights in round-arched frames. The west facade also has
the blocked archways which led directly on to the quays, one C12 round-headed
arch and 2 early C14 segmental-headed arches. Within these blocked arches
are 2 vertical defensive slits of the C14 defences which may be the earliest
surviving gunports in Britain. Parts of the original stone fireplace on the
north side of the first floor survive, including both jambs, with inset shafts
and scalloped capitals. Against the east wall is a late Norman chimney of
circa 1200, removed from No 79A High Street, in the form of a long round stone
shaft rising from a square base. This house is one of the most complete of
the larger C12 town houses surviving in the country.
Scheduled as an ancient monument.