You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 135749  

Print Page



© Mr Stuart Goodall

IoE Number: 135749
Location: BERE HOUSE,
  SOUTHAMPTON, SOUTHAMPTON, HAMPSHIRE
Photographer: Mr Stuart Goodall
Date Photographed: 29 June 2000
Date listed: 14 February 1969
Date of last amendment: 14 February 1969
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

1.BUGLE STREET5239(east side)The Duke of WellingtonPublic House

1. BUGLE STREET 5239 (east side) The Duke of Wellington Public House SU 4111 3/57 14.2.69 II 2. C13 and C15, restored in 1962-3. The foundations and cellars are C13 and are the remains of a house built circa 1220 by Benedict Ace, one of the earliest known Mayors of Southampton who was Mayor between 1237 and 1245. The French raid of 1338 seriously damaged the house. In about 1494 the remains were incorporated into the present building by the brewer Rowland Johnson and named the Bere House. The name was changed after the Battle of Waterloo when it became a public house. Two storeys exposed square framed timber-framing with plaster infill on stone base the top storeys oversail. Old tiled roof. Two C18 windows on first floor facing street. Modern bar front to ground floor.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.