You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 135758  

Print Page

© Mr Stuart Goodall

IoE Number: 135758
Photographer: Mr Stuart Goodall
Date Photographed: 19 July 2000
Date listed: 08 October 1981
Date of last amendment: 08 October 1981
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

1.CANUTE ROAD5239No 100(Union Castle House)SU 4210 5/66

1. CANUTE ROAD 5239 No 100 (Union Castle House) SU 4210 5/66 II 2. 1847 by Alfred Giles, Engineer to the Docks. This was originally built as the Custom House and was used as such until 1902 when the new Custom House, Post Office Building, Platform Road was built. Two storeys yellow brick. The Canute Road elevation has a C20 stone addition. Centre portion of higher elevation. 3:5:3 windows. Hipped tiled roof with massive wooden modillion cornice. Centre portion has louvred lantern. Windows are sashes with most glazing bars intact and moulded architraves to first floor windows, with cornices as well to centre windows. The ground floor stone projection has a round-headed doorcase with lights each side flanked by engaged Tuscan columns supporting the entablature which has a triglyph frieze and urns. The centre of the parapet is raised up. End quoins. Plinth.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.