You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 135795  

Print Page

© Mr Derek Wilson

IoE Number: 135795
Photographer: Mr Derek Wilson
Date Photographed: 23 March 2003
Date listed: 14 July 1953
Date of last amendment: 14 July 1953
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

1.COMMERCIAL ROAD5239Conduit HouseSU 4112 1/10214.7.53

1. COMMERCIAL ROAD 5239 Conduit House SU 4112 1/102 14.7.53 II 2. Early C14 conduit house which collected water from wells and springs for the Southampton public water supply. This was originally collected by the Franciscan Friars circa 1290 and the water system was transferred to the town council in 1420. It is one of the earliest known examples of municipally controlled water supply on this scale. One storey stone building with stone pitched roof. One blocked slit window. Doorcase with shouldered lintel. Scheduled as an ancient monument.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.