You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 135834  

Print Page



© Mr Stuart Goodall

IoE Number: 135834
Location: RUINS OF HOLY ROOD CHURCH, HIGH STREET (east side)
  SOUTHAMPTON, SOUTHAMPTON, HAMPSHIRE
Photographer: Mr Stuart Goodall
Date Photographed: 29 June 2000
Date listed: 14 July 1953
Date of last amendment: 08 October 1981
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

1. HIGH STREET 5239 (east side) Former Holy Rood Church, now a Merchant Navy Memorial (formerly listed as Ruins of Holy Rood Church) SU 4211 4/137 14.7.53 II* 2. This was built in 1320, rebuilt in 1849-50 retaining parts of the C14 chancel and aisles and the south-west tower and spire and was bombed during the Second World War. The ruins were restored in 1957 as a memorial to merchant seamen. C14 built of stone rubble. Tower walls intact up to springing of tower roof but the wooden spire has gone. Three stages with tall Y-tracery window on the south side at the top of the first stage and 2-light cusples windows, with circular tracery, to the belfry. Chancel remains substantially intact with 2 perpendicular windows in the south wall. Blocked outline of a trefoiled sedilia in the south wall. Under the tower is a memorial fountain, erected in 1912-13 for those who lost their lives in the Titanic Dfisaster, removed from its original site in Cemetery Road, the Common Stone Drinking Fountain, supported on 4 stone columns. Curved pediment on each side with carving depicting the 'Titanic' 4 columned cupola over all. The ruins of the church are scheduled as an ancient monument.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.