You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 135835  

Print Page



© Mr Stuart Goodall

IoE Number: 135835
Location: RED LION INN INCLUDING MEDIAEVAL VAULT, 55 HIGH STREET (east side)
  SOUTHAMPTON, SOUTHAMPTON, HAMPSHIRE
Photographer: Mr Stuart Goodall
Date Photographed: 29 June 2000
Date listed: 14 July 1953
Date of last amendment: 14 July 1953
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

1.HIGH STREET5239(east side)No 55(Red Lion Inn)

1. HIGH STREET 5239 (east side) No 55 (Red Lion Inn) including Mediaeval Vault SU 4211 4/138 14.7.53 II* GV 2. Late C15 and early C16. Facade is 3 storeys C20 sham timber-framing but behind is a well preserved late mediaeval timber-framed hall-house. The west part, of 2 storeys and gabled attic, probably represents the original solar. Behind is the very high hall of 3 bays long which rises the whole height of the building to the tiebeam roof with windbraces which was probably altered in the C17. A screened passageway with balustraded gallery above at first floor level runs along the north side of 2 bays. The 3 posts supporting the gallery and the greater part of the boarded partition are original. The balustrade of flat-shaped balusters are probably C16. The east bay is filled with a wide screened gallery at first floor level. Two stone fireplaces, probably early C16 are built into the hall against the south wall of the east bay and in the ground floor eastern chamber, with moulded 4-centred arch and rounded tracery patterns in square panels in the front of the overmantel. Below the hall is a mediaeval valut, probably remaining from an earlier house on the site, reputed to be the 'Court room' where the intending assassins of Henry V, Lord Scrops of Masham, Sir Thomas Grey and the flatly of Cambridge were tried when Henry V was in Southampton in 1415, preparing for Horfleur and Agincourt (See also St Julian's Church, Winkle Street).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.