© Mr Stuart Goodall
PREMISES OCCUPIED BY NATIONAL PROVINCIAL BANK, 129 HIGH STREET (west side)
SOUTHAMPTON, SOUTHAMPTON, HAMPSHIRE
Mr Stuart Goodall
19 July 2000
14 February 1969
Date of last amendment:
08 October 1981
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
1. HIGH STREET
5239 (west side)
(formerly listed as
No 129 (premises
SU 4111 3/147
SU 4211 4/147 14.2.69
1867 by John Gibson in an Italionate style. Narrow main frontage to High
Street of 3 bays. Long return elevation of 7 bays to St Michael's Street.
Faced in varied stonework with brown to white tints. Two storeys attics and
basement. Roof concealed behind raised parapet with circular of fretwork
and central dormer with curved pediment over. Bracketted cornice and frieze.
End rusticated quoins. Sashes to first floor with moulded architraves and
elaborate panels beneath. Ground floor windows are round-headed with keystones.
Round-headed recessed entrance to frontage flanked by engaged Ionic columns
supporting entablature hood on scroll brackets with large sculptured coat
of arms above incorporating statuary of female figures, lions and swags.
The interior has an entrance foyer with round-arched coffered ceiling and
massive composite columns.