© Mr Stuart Goodall
GROUP OF FORMER ORDNANCE SURVEY OFFICES, LONDON ROAD
SOUTHAMPTON, SOUTHAMPTON, HAMPSHIRE
Mr Stuart Goodall
25 August 2000
02 October 1969
Date of last amendment:
08 October 1981
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
1. LONDON ROAD
West Pavilion, Southern
and Western Ranges,
Barrack Block and
Staff Quarters to former
Ordnance Survey Office
(formerly listed as
group of former
Ordnance Survey Offices)
SU 4312 2/157 2.10.69
This is the original Southampton site of the Ordnance Survey who moved here
from the Tower of London in 1841. They occupied buildings built as barracks
circa 1800 which had been turned into an asylum for military orphans in 1816.
Early C19 one storey yellow brick entrance block now called Barrack Block with
round-headed carriage entrance with keystones. Attached to this is a long
range known as the Western Range dated 1867 on a keystone, of 2 storeys yellow
brick. Parapet with dentil cornice concealing roof. Sash windows, some of
which are triple. Simple doorcases.
There are 2 detached pavilions of 2 storeys yellow brick. The west pavilion
has a hipped slate roof. The other pavilion known as Southern Range has a
cornice. Three sashes each with stuccoed fan moulding above. Simple doorcases.
To the south is the former Staff Quarters, dated 1868 on a keystone and of
2 storeys yellow brick with 8 sashes; modillion cornice and band between floors.