You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 135859  

Print Page



© Mr Stuart Goodall

IoE Number: 135859
Location: THE OLD FARM HOUSE PUBLIC HOUSE, MOUNT PLEASANT ROAD
  SOUTHAMPTON, SOUTHAMPTON, HAMPSHIRE
Photographer: Mr Stuart Goodall
Date Photographed: 06 October 2000
Date listed: 14 July 1953
Date of last amendment: 14 July 1953
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

1.MOUNT PLEASANT ROAD5239The Old Farm HousePublic HouseSU 4212 2/16714.7.53

1. MOUNT PLEASANT ROAD 5239 The Old Farm House Public House SU 4212 2/167 14.7.53 II* 2. Dated 1611 E. R. in brickwork but core probably earlier. There was a grange of St Denys Priory on the site in the Middle Ages. The Southampton map of 1560 shows a farmhouse on the site. There is said to be a tunnel connecting this building with Bitterne Manor. Two storeys red brick on a stone base which is probably part of an earlier building. Moulded carved corbelled brick stringcourse at first floor level in central portion of front. Irregular elevation with 2 gables. Timber-framing to upper part. Two large restored chimney stacks, with diamond-shaped shafts in groups. Modern tiled roof. Modern windows. Original oak panelled iron studded door with later brick porch. The first floor rooms have exposed windbraces and the roof is of queen post construction. Parlour with early C16 stone fireplace with 4 centred arch and panelling and fine carved over mantel of circa 1611.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.