© Tyrone M. McDonald LRPS, LZPS
CHURCH OF ST MARY EXTRA, PEARTREE ROAD
SOUTHAMPTON, SOUTHAMPTON, HAMPSHIRE
Tyrone M. McDonald LRPS, LZPS
09 September 1999
14 July 1953
Date of last amendment:
08 October 1981
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
1. PEARTREE ROAD
5239 Peartree Green
Jesus Chapel -
St Mary Extra
(formerly listed as
SU 41 SW 10/188 Church of St Mary Extra)
This was built as Jesus Chapel in 1620 to serve that part of the old Parish
of St Mary, Southampton ('St Mary Extra') which lay across the Itchen. It
was the first church to be consecrated in Southampton after the Reformation.
Built of rubble, the only part of the original building remaining is the centre
west gable having diagonal buttresses a dressed coping crowned by a small
gabled bell turret, rectangular opening and one bell. On the south return
wall of the gable is an early C17 stone mullioned window with a rectangular
head and pointed arched lights. In 1822 a west porch and south transept were
added in ashlar by E. Burrough and J. Ede. The windows are flat-headed Neo-Tudor.
In 1846 a north aisle was added, in 1866 an east aisle, and a new chancel
and south chapel in 1883. The church is plain inside and retains complete
its early C19 plain panelled oak pews. Early C19 wall monuments.