You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 135896  

Print Page

© Mrs Alison Parsons

IoE Number: 135896
Location: 324 PORTSWOOD ROAD
Photographer: Mrs Alison Parsons
Date Photographed: 24 February 2006
Date listed: 03 December 1964
Date of last amendment: 03 December 1964
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

1.PORTSWOOD ROAD5239PortswoodNo 324SU 41 SW 10/2033.12.64

1. PORTSWOOD ROAD 5239 Portswood No 324 SU 41 SW 10/203 3.12.64 II 2. Probably built circa 1770 by General Stibbert as a lodge to Portswood Park, no longer extant. Strawberry Hill Gothic style 'Fortress' lodge on square plan with corner towers. Two storeys stuccoed. Front to road with blocked central pointed door. Upper floor with quatrefoil window, upper floor of towers with small pointed windows, the right-hand one replaced by a sash. The corner towers which project slightly have a band which is continued across the centre. Battlemented parapet to centre. Sham top floor to towers with small round window and battlements. Chimney stack rises above pediment on front wall. South front similar, but with central pointed door with hood mould. Ground floor of towers with pointed window each. Upper floor of towers with quatrefoil windows. Central window with 3 pointed lights.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.