You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 135932  

Print Page

© Mr Stuart Goodall

IoE Number: 135932
Photographer: Mr Stuart Goodall
Date Photographed: 16 July 2000
Date listed: 14 July 1953
Date of last amendment: 14 July 1953
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

1.SIMINEL STREET5239The UndercroftSU 4111 3/22214.7.53

1. SIMINEL STREET 5239 The Undercroft SU 4111 3/222 14.7.53 II* 2. An early C14 ground floor room or undercroft of a mediaeval house thought to have been built by a stone mason from Beaulieu Abbey. Built of stone rubble with arched doorcase down 8 steps. Three windows, one a single light window with shouldered head, the others 2-light shouldered headed windows. The undercroft was originally a shop and there was living accommodation above. Two intersecting quadripartite rib vaults with 2 fine bosses one probably a Head of Christ, the other a female head. Stone hooded fireplace with ball flower ornament. C15 brick floor. Above the undercroft are a pair of brick council houses built in 1902, the first in Southampton, but not of special architectural interest. This undercroft is the most elaborate of the surviving stone vaulted undercrofts of Southampton. Scheduled as an ancient monument.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.