© Mrs Alison Parsons
ST MARY'S CHURCH, SOUTH STONEHAM, WESSEX LANE
SOUTHAMPTON, SOUTHAMPTON, HAMPSHIRE
Mrs Alison Parsons
18 February 2006
14 July 1953
Date of last amendment:
08 October 1981
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
1. WESSEX LANE
5239 South Stoneham
Church of St Mary
(formerly listed as
St Mary's Church,
SU 41 NW 7/262 14.7.53
The parish church of South Stoneham and the village church of Swaythling.
Chancel C12, nave C13, north transept of 1728, south transept of 1850s by
G Guillaume and late C15 or early C16 west tower with small double uncusped
belfry lights, later battlemented parapet and C19 west doorway. Built of
stone rubble with tiled roof. The interior contains a fine late C12 chalk
chancel arch, a piscina in the north chancel wall and a late C12 Purbeck marble
font having a square bowl with incised arcading to the sides, on later clustered
shafting. Good collection of monuments including a tomb of circa 1540 in
the chancel, a wall monument to Edmund Clarke (died 1632) and a huge baroque
monument to Edward Dummer, the builder of South Stoneham House, attributed
to Hawksmoor. Late C18 and early C19 wall tablets in nave.
The churchyard contains examples of C18 headstones with cherub, skull, heavenly
crown, trumpet urn and hourglass and flower motifs and C19 oval body stones
and chest tombs.