You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 135961  

Print Page



© Mrs Alison Parsons

IoE Number: 135961
Location: SOUTH STONEHAM HOUSE, WESSEX LANE
  SOUTHAMPTON, SOUTHAMPTON, HAMPSHIRE
Photographer: Mrs Alison Parsons
Date Photographed: 18 February 2006
Date listed: 14 July 1953
Date of last amendment: 14 July 1953
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

1.WESSEX LANE5239SwaythlingSouth Stoneham HouseSU 41 NW 7/26414.7.53

1. WESSEX LANE 5239 Swaythling South Stoneham House SU 41 NW 7/264 14.7.53 II* 2. Built in 1708, almost certainly by Nicholas Hawksmoor. The manor house of South Stoneham was built for Edward Dummer and became a University Hall of Residence after the first world war. There are some alterations of circa 1900. Three storeys red brick with raised rubbed brick band of 9 courses at ground floor level. Similar band and moulded stone cornice at second floor level of cills. Tall attic embracing second floor with moulded stone coping and small central pediment supported on stone triglyphed and modillioned broken entablature. Hipped old tiled roof in 5 hips. Seven original window openings with modern windows on second floor. Nine tall narrow windows with wide frames on first floor, stone cills and deep rubbed arches. Eight windows including 2 on the left-hand side of the door altered in the late C18 and a glazed central door in heavy moulded and coved architrave with acanthus console brackets at 45 degrees to the wall face supporting a moulded cornice breaking round brackets with carved keystone, all painted stone. The doorcase is covered by a modern brick Doric porch. Later extension the full height of the building to the left-hand side. The attic storey has been extended by one bay each side at a later date. Two modern wings flank the original building of red brick. The south front is the same design but has a large 2 storey half octagonal bay in the centre, 3 windows on the first floor of the bay. Two windows and central glazed door on the ground floor of similar design to the north door, approached by 4 Portland steps with Portland stone balustrading. Four cast lead rainwater heads, 2 on the north and 2 on the south front with the inscription EDS. The interior contains a contemporary staircase with carved tread ends, with scroll, flower and leaf decorations. Three twisted balusters to each step and moulded hand rail. The staircase hall has an C18 ceiling with painting of pelicans, trumpets and swags. There is panelling to dado level. The Music Room has a cornice with swags and patterae and a marble fireplace with cupids, urns and swags.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.