You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 135968  

Print Page

© Mr Thomas Olding

IoE Number: 135968
Photographer: Mr Thomas Olding
Date Photographed: 13 February 2006
Date listed: 14 February 1969
Date of last amendment: 08 October 1981
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

1.WESTGATE STREET5239Tudor Merchants Hall(formerly listed asSU 4111 3/270The Guard House)

1. WESTGATE STREET 5239 Tudor Merchants Hall (formerly listed as SU 4111 3/270 The Guard House) 14.2.69 II* GV 2. C15 restored 1973-4. Built before 1428, this building originally stood in St Michael's Square. The upper floors were used as the town Woollen Cloth Hall and the open arcaded ground floor as the Fishmarket. By the C17 it had become derelict and was sold in 1634 to Alderman Edward Exton for 20 marks for re-erection on the present site as a warehouse. The arcaded ground floor was filled in. Three storeys. Five bay timber-framed building with plaster infilling on stone rubble ground floor. Curved braces to second floor. Mullioned or mullioned and transomed windows in wooden frames, not original. Tiled roof. Interior has a crown post roof.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.