You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 135994  

Print Page


No Image Available

IoE Number: 135994
Location: TRAFALGAR DRY DOCK,
  SOUTHAMPTON, SOUTHAMPTON, HAMPSHIRE
Photographer: N/A
Date Photographed: N/A
Date listed: 14 June 1988
Date of last amendment: 14 June 1988
Grade NG

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

The following building shall be added to the listSU 4210SOUTHAMPTON DOCKS5/292Trafalgar Dry Dock

The following building shall be added to the list SU 4210 SOUTHAMPTON DOCKS 5/292 Trafalgar Dry Dock Dry Dock constructed in 1905 and enlarged in 1913 and 1922. Built of concrete, the original construction requiring 130,000 cubic yards of concrete. It had steel entrance gates operated by direct acting vertical engines. Stepped sides with series of concrete linking stairways. By 1913 although it was the largest drydock in the world it was not large enough to receive the newly built SS Olympic so it was enlarged. At the same time the steel gates were removed and replaced by a sliding steel caisson which allowed the level of water inside the dock to be maintained against a falling tide. In 1922 the dock was enlarged again to accommodate the SS Berengaria. This was done by cutting a V-shaped section into the head of the dock into which the liner's bow fitted, leaving only 10 inches between the side of the ship and the dock wall. From 1924 onwards the larger Cunard liners began to be serviced by a large floating dock and after 1933 by the King George V Graving Dock. Included for historical interest for its connection with the earlier ocean going liners.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.