© Gill Cardy ARPS
CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL,
KIMPTON, TEST VALLEY, HAMPSHIRE
Gill Cardy ARPS
24 July 2003
21 December 1960
Date of last amendment:
21 December 1960
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
SU 2846 KIMPTON KIMPTON
7/17 Church of St. Peter
& St. Paul
Parish church. C13, C14, C15, C18, 1837, restorations of 1894 and 1896.
Cruciform church with a south aisle to the nave, south porch, and western tower.
Flint & stone rubble, flint and brick, and a tile roof. Single cell nave and
chancel of c1220 with lancets in the chancel, and blocked north door in the nave;
transepts of the C14 (the north earlier) with Decorated traceried windows and
ogee cusped openings (2 squints). C14 arcade of 3 bays with a narrow south aisle,
with wall restored in the C18 (exterior plaque dated 1702) with 2 small windows.
Tile roof of continuous ridge, slightly-lower transept roof, low eaves to the south
aisle. Walls of flint and stone rubble with stone dressings, cement render to the
chancel which has clasped buttresses to the middle height at the eastern corners.
The tower of 1837 is of 2 main stages, with a parapet with central gablets to each
face, flat buttresses with shallow steps, coupled lancets to the bell stage and a
larger lancet west window: the features of the walling are expressed in red brick
work with complex intermediate patterns of flush flint panelling. Windows are a
mixture of lancets, coupled lights with reticulate trace , small lights of ogee
form with cusps, and 2 perpendicular windows (in the nave . Within, there is a
Gothic cusped tomb recess in the north wall of the chancel near the altar, and a
similar recess (altered by the insertion of a window) in the south wall of the
south transept; there are piscinas to the chancel and south transept. The floor
of the chancel has many monumental slabs from the late 17th to the early C19, and
there are several wall monuments within the same date range. The north wall of
the north transept (the Shoddesdon Chapel) has a small altar tomb (with inlays for
brasses now gone) partly buried in the wall, and above is a late-Gothic stone frame
with decorated head and panelled sides, enclosing 3 brasses (of Robert Thornborough
and his 2 wives) and an inscription brass dated 1522. The north wall of the nave
contains a painted board of the Royal Coat of Arms (of George III 1812) and the
west end of the aisle has a Victorian font. The gable to the south porch has
diagonal boarding above a brick face.