You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 143419  

Print Page



© Mr Alec Howard

IoE Number: 143419
Location: CALSHOT CASTLE,
  FAWLEY, NEW FOREST, HAMPSHIRE
Photographer: Mr Alec Howard
Date Photographed: 23 March 2005
Date listed: 10 June 1987
Date of last amendment: 10 June 1987
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

FAWLEYCALSHOTSU 40 SE13/13Calshot CastleII*

FAWLEY CALSHOT SU 40 SE 13/13 Calshot Castle II* Castle. 1538-41 for Henry VIII's coastal defences, altered C18, 1868-71 and C20, twice restored by DoE 1985. Dressed squared Portland stone, brick and old plain tile roofed addition. Plan of circular moat around circular island with wall around edge, raised to 3 storeys on one quadrant, for gate house. In centre of island 3½ storey keep tower. Both sides of moat faced in dressed stone, with moulded coping. On inner side wall rises from coping with open-topped embrasure. The 3 storey quadrant has slightly projecting full-height gatehouse. C20 bridge stands in front of recessed 2 deep order pointed archway with double doors. Each side pilaster with impost to chevron hood. Panel over, framed by pilasters with early Renaissance decoration. Each side loopholes. 3rd floor heavy moulded string course, that wall originally coping before wall was raised in C18. In centre, cutting string is 12-pane sash. Either side of gateway are embrasures now fitted with 2-light casements and heavy moulded string course at head of gateway level. Central keep tower has only pointed doorway on ground floor. Moulded 1st floor string. On 1st floor tall embrasures with 12-pane sashes. 2nd floor raised band. On 1st floor wider embrasures with 12-pane sashes, set slightly off-centre to those on 1st floor. Moulded cornice to tall parapet that has additional floor behind it. Building now in Ancient Monuments guardianship and owned by Hampshire County Council.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.