You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 149825  

Print Page



© Mr John Burrows DPAGB

IoE Number: 149825
Location: BURTON COURT,
  EARDISLAND, HEREFORDSHIRE, HEREFORDSHIRE
Photographer: Mr John Burrows DPAGB
Date Photographed: 02 August 2005
Date listed: 20 February 1953
Date of last amendment: 20 February 1953
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

SO 45 NW EARDISLAND CP-4/43Burton Court

SO 45 NW EARDISLAND CP - 4/43 Burton Court 20.2.53 GV II* Country house. C14, remodelled.c1808, restored c1865 by F Kempson and again in 1912 by Clough Williams Ellis. Timber-frame, clad and extended in stuccoed brick and ashlar under a tile roof. North-east front has a mid-C19 cross-wing to right, then the C14 great hall, with C20 porch and range to left. C19 range to right has a segmental plan, two-storey bay window, with three plate glass sashes. Hall to left has two windows of early C20, that to right of 3 by 3 lights, that to left four lights wide by three high, both with stone mullion and transoms. The porch to the left is also early C20 with a shaped gable bearing a sun-burst design over a moulded cornice. The first floor has stone cross window over the inscription "PLC & EEC". The entrance is flanked by Doric pilasters rising to a moulded entablature in the centre of which is set an elliptical window. The entrance below has a moulded architrave and semi-circular head. The panelled door with its semi-circular head has a centrally placed winged cherub's head. Interior has a semi-circular plan stair hall of the early C19 (date of 1808 on a bell to rear) with cantilevered stair which has a wrought iron balustrade. Great hall roof of five bays with arch-braced collar trusses. Two tiers of purlins with cusped wind-braces. Lateral stack on rear wall has an overmantel with two tiers of arcaded panelling and bearing the date 1654. (RCHM, 3, p 47, no 3; BoE, p 120; Guide Book, 1986 edition).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.