You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 151550  

Print Page



© Mr John Burrows DPAGB

IoE Number: 151550
Location: WOODMANTON FARMHOUSE, KITCHEN, OUTBUILDINGS AND TOWER BASE,
  CLIFTON UPON TEME, MALVERN HILLS, WORCESTERSHIRE
Photographer: Mr John Burrows DPAGB
Date Photographed: 28 February 2004
Date listed: 12 November 1951
Date of last amendment: 21 September 1984
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

SO 76 SWCLIFTON UPON TEME-2/17Woodmanton Farmhouse, kitchenoutbuildings and tower base12.11.51(formerly listed as

SO 76 SW CLIFTON UPON TEME - 2/17 Woodmanton Farmhouse, kitchen outbuildings and tower base 12.11.51 (formerly listed as Woodmanton Manor) GV II* Farmhouse, kitchen and outbuildings with tower base. In three parts. Farmhouse: about 1827. Red brick, probably formerly stuccoed, hipped slate roof, 2 brick stacks. Plain villa. 2 storeys, plain pilasters at corners. 3 windows: 16-pane sashes under rubbled brick heads; ground floor: 20-pane sashes flanking central entrance with stuccoed portico, the square plan pillars bear incised Soanean design, and support flat canopy with moulded cornice, the door is half glazed with a marginally glazed rectangular fan- light. Kitchen: possibly former chapel, attached to north east corner of house: C14 with C16 to C19 alterations. Timber-frame with brick cladding and rubble additions. 2 storeys with 3 ranges of C19 casements, under segmental heads on ground floor, underside of tie-beam on left gable (visible from the rear) indicates position of a former window; rubble outshut to rear probably C18. Interior: 2 framed bays; central truss has massive tie-beam (formerly with solid curved braces), jowelled main posts; the ashlar pieces are curved and extend to meet the curved braces to the collar, forming a 2 centred arch; the common rafters have similar ashlar pieces and braces; there are no purlins. The wall-plate is of 2 timbers, with roll mouldings. Blocked 2-light window with ogee trefoiled heads in rear (north) wall. Existing floor is probably C17, stack probably inserted in C16. Outbuildings with tower base, attached to south west corner of house: mid C19 and possibly C14. Rubble with plain tile roof. L plan, circular tower base at extreme north west corner. 3 bays in south range, 4 in west range with segmental headed openings, C20 rsj to main opening in north range, principal feature the base of a coursed rubble tower at north west corner projecting into moat. The tower base, moat to west and south of house and possible chapel may date to 1332 when John de Wisham obtained a licence to crenellate. (VCH 4, page 247; BoE page 122).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.