You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 164739  

Print Page



© Mr Gareth Parry LRPS

IoE Number: 164739
Location: SKIDBY MILL, BEVERLEY ROAD (A 164) (west side)
  SKIDBY, EAST RIDING OF YORKSHIRE, EAST YORKSHIRE
Photographer: Mr Gareth Parry LRPS
Date Photographed: 01 September 1999
Date listed: 06 May 1952
Date of last amendment: 01 March 1990
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

In the entry for the following SKIDBY BEVERLEY ROAD (A164) TA 03 SW (west side) 7/97 Skidby Mill 6.5.52 II* The address and description shall be amended to read: TA 03 SW BEVERLEY ROAD (A164) (west side) 7/97 Skidby Mill and attached 6.5.52 Mill Buildings GV II* Corn windmill, tower type, built 1821 by Robert Garton, Millwright, for William Watson, raised late 1870's. Brick tower, tarred, timber-framed cap sails and fantail painted white. Circular plan, battered tower with vertical upper sec- tion, East Yorkshire tower mill. 6 storeys and cap. Bottom storey has one Yorkshire sliding multi-paned window, 2 boarded doors and engine drive pulley, also adjoining buildings. Second storey has one multi-paned pivoted window, and one internal door to warehouse. Third storey has 3 pivoting windows as before. There is slatted stage at second floor level with a handrail carried on posts and cross-bracing between. Fourth, fifth and sixth storeys each have 2 pivoting windows as before. There is a circular ogee cup with a ball finial, and an 8-bladed fantail carried on a high fanstage behind it. Fan gearing and lever- type striking gear complete. There are 4 double-shuttered patent sails with a complete set of shutters and striking gear mounted on an iron cross. Bottom storey has engine drive shaft with bevel gears driving a vertical iron shaft, elevator boot, hopper and trunking. Second storey has wood and iron tentering gear for 3 pairs of millstones, governor, meal spouts, vertical iron shaft pass- ing through with bevel gear and pulley, elevator trunking. Third storey has 3 pairs of millstones complete with tuns, hoppers, horses, shoes with screens, quants and mortise-iron stone nuts. Cast-iron upright shaft carries iron great spurwheel and belt drive to governor shaft. Vertical shaft carries a fourth mortise-iron nut engaging great spur, elevator trunking. Fourth and fifth storeys have iron upright shaft passing through, and elevator head. Sixth storey has iron upright shaft carrying cast-iron wallower with wooden facing under. Cap has cast-iron windshaft with wood-rimmed, iron cogged and spoked brakewheel. Wooden brake and lever, fantail gears, striking gear for sails. Attached mill buildings, brick, 2 storey with pantile roofs. North front, to west of mill, with a doorway to the left and two 3-light windows with segment heads, above four 4-light windows. West gable wall has a 2-light casement to each floor, both with segment heads. South front has two 4-light windows with segment heads and above a 3-light and two 4-light windows. To the south-east a further 2 storey range, with a single 4-light window to each floor of the west gable front. The south front has four 4-light windows to each floor, those below with segment heads. Beyond a slightly lower 2 storey range with 3 irregu- larly spaced 3-light windows and above three 4-light windows. The east gable wall has a 4-light casement, and a 3-light window above both with segment heads. The north front has two 3-light casements, 2 plank doors and a small casement all with segment heads, above a small casement and a pair of shuttered loft doors. To the west a projecting range, the east gable wall has a pair of cart doors, and the north front a single doorway. ------------------------------------ SKIDBY BEVERLEY ROAD (A 164) TA 03 SW (west side) 7/97 Skidby Mill 6.5.52 - II* Windmill. 1821 by Robert Garton of Beverley for William Watson; raised in late 1870s and restored c1974. Tarred brick with timber cap and sails. Conical tower of 6 storeys with projecting timber gallery to the second floor. Scattered fenestration of oblong windows with glazing bars under segmental brick arches. Onion cap, 4 sails, and fantail. Interior: the machinery survives complete and is in full working order: only the sack hoist is missing. There are 3 pairs of stones.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.