You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 165871  

Print Page

© Mr Brian Callan LRPS

IoE Number: 165871
Photographer: Mr Brian Callan LRPS
Date Photographed: 21 August 2007
Date listed: 17 October 1985
Date of last amendment: 17 October 1985
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

HUMBERSIDE GLANFORD 5264 TA 11 NE SOUTH KILLINGHOLME TA 178 182 11/71 Killingholme High Lighthouse GV II Lighthouse. Established 1831, rebuilt 1876-7 for Trinity House. Brick, rendered and colourwashed. 6-storey tapered round tower, 30 metres high. Recessed plain door under timber lintel. Two recessed louvred openings to ground floor, two or three 12-pane sashes to 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th floors with projecting cills and recessed lintels. Moulded cornice supports balcony to top floor with plain iron railings. Top floor has plinth, incised band below cillband, wide east-facing window with vertical glazing bars. Ribbed dome with scalloped eaves, capped with cylindrical ventilator and weathervane. Stack rising from south side has stepped cornice and four cylindrical pots. Plaque on north side inscribed: THIS LIGHT HOUSE WAS ENLARGED AND REBUILT BY THE TRINITY HOUSE OF KINGSTON UPON HULL 1877 JOHN WILSON (WARDENS GEORGE HARRISON ( THE ONE AT S.E. WAS ERECTED IN 1836 WILLM COLLINSON (WARDENS GEORGE NALL ( AND THE ONE AT THE N.E. IN 1851 JOHN SUGDEN (WARDENS HUNTER ESTILL ( Lighthouse, no longer manned, is used in conjunction with the nearby Killingholme South Low Lighthouse to guide shipping in the Humber, and in the C19 was a link in the Hull Telegraph. D. Jackson, Lighthouses of England and Wales, 1975, 104-5.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.