You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 166016  

Print Page



© Ms Janet Tierney LRPS

IoE Number: 166016
Location: HIBALDSTOW MILL AND RETAINING WALLS TO MILL POND AND WHEEL RACE, INGS LANE (north off)
  HIBALDSTOW, NORTH LINCOLNSHIRE, LINCOLNSHIRE
Photographer: Ms Janet Tierney LRPS
Date Photographed: 04 November 2000
Date listed: 06 January 1987
Date of last amendment: 19 December 1991
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

The following item shall be added: SE 90 SE HIBALDSTOW INGS LANE (north side, off) 10/56 Hibaldstow Mill and retaining walls to mill- pond and wheel-race The grade shall be upgraded to grade II* ---------------------------------- SE 90 SE HIBALDSTOW INGS LANE (north side) 10/56 Hibaldstow Mill and retaining walls to mill- pond and wheel-race GV II Combined windmill/watermill and dwelling. 1802 by James Middleton of Hibaldstow, millwright. Top storey added to tower in 1837 for James Tenney, miller. Engine-house to north of 1912; C20 patching and repairs. Hammer- dressed limestone and coursed rubble with minor later brick patching and repairs to openings, rendering to south face of roundhouse, and tarring to lower courses of tower. Red brick to top storey of tower. York stone roof to roundhouse, concreted over in C20. Pantile roof to wheel-house. Brick retaining walls to mill-pond, limestone rubble and brick retaining walls to wheel-race. Plan: roundhouse approximately 12 metres diameter with opposed east and west entrances and flattened south face for water-wheel with gabled 2-room wheel-house adjoining. Interior of roundhouse divided radially by 8 walls, forming deep alcoves or rooms, and leaving a central circular space approximately 5.5 metres diameter. The radial walls, linked by round-arched vaults at second-storey level, support the roof and tapering round-tower above, approximately 7 metres diameter at base. 2-storey roundhouse supporting central 7-storey tower approximately 19 metres high, the roundhouse roof forming a balcony at second floor level; single-storey wheel-house with 2 openings. Main entrance to east. 2 steps made from re- used blue Cologne millstone, forming a small semi-circular loading platform. Recessed 2-fold board door with cat-hole beneath segmental arch. Single windows boarded-up to either side, that to right beneath a segmental arch, that to left with brick surround and timber lintel; other windows and west door obscured by engine-house and C20 sheds. Second floor: board door to south-east in segmental-headed brick surround. 7 segmental-headed windows, 2 with brick-repaired arches: 5 glazed, 1 with board shutters, 1 boarded-up. Stepped eaves with projecting flagstone roof. Wrought-iron balcony railings with plain posts and single top-rail. Tower: third floor has 2-fold board door to east with strap hinges beneath timber lintel, part-glazed 2-fold door to west beneath segmental arch, 3 segmental-arched windows, 2 with board shutters. 4 windows to third floor; 2 windows to fourth floor, 1 with board shutters; 3 windows to fifth floor, 2 boarded-up. Top stage has single boarded window and corbelled-out upper section with cogged brick band. Windows have double-doored shutters or later hinged casements with glazing bars, many with glass missing at time of resurvey. Wheel-house, east side, has opening to brick and stone-lined mill-race, now floored-over, and pair of board doors to left beneath lintel at eaves level. Wheel-house derelict, with gable-end partly-collapsed at time of resurvey. Partly- infilled mill-pond to west has brick-coped retaining walls flanking entrance to wheel-race. Interior. Floors and main structural framework intact, incorporates some timberwork from former post-mills. Winding staircase with moulded handrail to roundhouse. Fittings include gears and shaft for machine drive on ground floor, pair of stones on first floor (originally under-driven by waterwheel); pair of stones to second floor (machine driven); spur-wheel, drive shafts and frames for 2 sets of stones on third floor (stones removed) originally powered from wind-sails. 1 ground-floor alcove and another directly above on first floor contain fireplaces (the latter with a C19 cast-iron duck's nest grate). The mill was used as a dwelling for miller and family until the 1880s. The undershot water-wheel was removed in 1912, the 4 sails in 1913, and the ogee cap in 1924. The mill-pond was filled-in in 1940s. The mill, with its accompanying range of contemporary outbuildings (qv) is one of very few examples of combined wind and water-mills in Britain. The highly-accomplished design is particularly notable, and probably unique. Disused and in disrepair at time of resurvey. G Mounsey and J A Sass, "Reesons Mill, Hibaldstow" Lincolnshire Industrial Archaeolgy, 1973, vol 8, No 2, pp 21-8.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.