You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 171149  

Print Page

© Mr Bruce Ferguson

IoE Number: 171149
Location: THE CRANE HOUSE, KING STREET (north side)
Photographer: Mr Bruce Ferguson
Date Photographed: 02 March 2002
Date listed: 29 September 1952
Date of last amendment: 29 September 1952
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

1. 5273 FORDWICH KING STREET (north side) 29.9.52. The Town Hall and 30.1.67. The Crane House, with the stocks outside the Town Hall TR 1859 27/225 II* GV 2. Fordwich is associated with the Cinque Ports as a limb of Sandwich and was a Corporation by prescription until it was deprived of its municipal status by the Municipal Corporations Act 1883. The Town Hall comprised a storeroom and prison on the ground floor and the court room and jury room over. It is probably an early C15 building, and there is evidence that it was extensively repaired in 1474. Timber framed building, the ground floor rebuilt in brick, stone rubble and flints. The first floor is close studded with herringbone brick nagging on the east and south sides and plaster infilling on the west side, all three oversailing on a moulded bressumer and brackets with a red brick buttress giving support at the south east corner. Steeply-pitched hipped tile roof. Casement windows of four lights with 4-centred heads, wooden mullions, diamond-shaped leaded panes and old green glass. Two storeys, One window each facing east, south and north. The tiny prison on the ground floor retains its bed, while the wooden stocks are placed in the forecourt to the south. The court room above also has its original fittings and a crownpost roof. To the north is an addition of tarred weatherboarding with a tiled roof. This was the Crane House. The north gable end facing the river Stour is jettied. At the north east angle is a swinging post with a cross-piece like a gallows, from which a large hook is suspended for the raising and lowering of goods. AM. Scheduled as an Ancient Monument.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.