You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 178420  

Print Page


No Image Available

IoE Number: 178420
Location: POULTON MANOR, POULTON LANE (west side)
  WOODNESBOROUGH, DOVER, KENT
Photographer: N/A
Date Photographed: N/A
Date listed: 13 October 1952
Date of last amendment: 13 October 1952
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

TR 25 NEWOODNESBOROUGHPOULTON LANE(West Side)5/388Poulton Manor

TR 25 NE WOODNESBOROUGH POULTON LANE (West Side) 5/388 Poulton Manor 13.10.52 II* House. 1629 and early C18. Timber framed central section and exposed with plaster infill and extended with red brick. Plain tiled roof. H-plan with timber framed range as central block. Entrance front. 2 storeys and attic on plinth with plat band and string cornice and parapet to roof with central segmental pediment and shaped gables to left and to right. 2 segmental dormers and stacks to left and to right. Three segmental headed wooden casements of 3 lights each side of 2 light central window on first floor, and 2 on ground floor with central half-glazed door in keyed surround on imposts in flat roofed porch. The other rear, red brick wing identical although without the central door; and a round window replacing the sundial occupying the gable on entrance front. Right return: the original entrance front to timber framed wing, with 3 storey and attic range, jettied with central gabled oriel supported by 3 carved brackets at first floor. Ovolo mullioned windows occupy whole of floor levels left and right of oriel, with rib and stud door to left. Interior: the central portion is dated on joist bracket 16 B 29 1 K and has fine moulded joists on carved brackets, with inglenook fireplaces. The wings, added by Colonel Christopher Kien c.1714, contain a stair of 5 flights in open well with winders and half- landings, and turned balusters on open string. Some panelling and fittings and doors with H and L hinges also survive. (See BOE, Kent 1983. 130).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.