You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 181367  

Print Page


No Image Available

IoE Number: 181367
Location: BOUGHTON COURT, CHURCH LANE
  BOUGHTON ALUPH, ASHFORD, KENT
Photographer: N/A
Date Photographed: N/A
Date listed: 13 October 1952
Date of last amendment: 13 October 1952
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

TR 04 NWBOUGHTON ALUPHCHURCH LANE(west end)5/7Boughton Court

TR 04 NW BOUGHTON ALUPH CHURCH LANE (west end) 5/7 Boughton Court 13.10.52 II* Manor House. C14 crypt, with C16 structure over reclad in C19. Stone crypt, timber framed over, clad in red brick with plain tile roof. 2 storeys on brick and rubble plinth; kneelered parapet gables to roof with stack to left, central stack and end stack to right. Regular fenestration of 5 three-light Dering windows with drip moulds. C19 plank door in 2 storey porch, in the upper storey a 2 light Dering window and small bullseye over that. Interior: the central doorway leads into a barrel vaulted passage through the central chimney stack, an arrangement dating from the insertion of the stack into an earlier screens passage. The house to right of the central stack stands on a 4 bay vaulted crypt. This has a blocked doorway to the front of the house, and an internal stairway into the house. On either end wall are ogee-headed niches. The vault ribs are double-chamfered, the whole structure has similarities to nearby church of All Saints, and like the main body of the church dates to the time of Sir Thomas de Aldon, owner of the manor c1329-61, and who had licence to crenellate his house 1339. See Igglesdon, XXV and B.O.E., Kent II, 150.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.