You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 181521  

Print Page

© Mr P. H. Sampson

IoE Number: 181521
Photographer: Mr P. H. Sampson
Date Photographed: 30 June 2001
Date listed: 27 November 1957
Date of last amendment: 27 November 1957
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

TR 04 NWEASTWELL5/14Eastwell Manor andCourtyard Gateways

TR 04 NW EASTWELL 5/14 Eastwell Manor and Courtyard Gateways 27.11.57 II House. 1843 by William Burn, rebuilt 1926 - 8 by B.C. Deacon. Flint, dressed stone and plain tile roof. An 'E' plan, with extended wings, including remains of C18 house by Joseph Bonomi. Two storeys, numerous irregularly placed stacks, irregular fenestra- tion of mullioned cross-windows, 1 to each floor of left wing, left recess, central gabled porch, right recess and 2 in right wing. Red brick wing to right. The remains of the earlier house now form attached walled gardens left. and right. Subsidiary features: in the courtyards to the rear of the house are 2 C16 gateways (formerly separately listed), a round headed stone archway with flanking columns and cartouche over, and, to north, a 4 centred brick arched gateway, castellated, flanked by buttresses and castellated walls. Interior: the house contains many earlier features brough in from elsewhere in C20, including an oriel window in the kitchen court, panelling from Markyate, Hertfordshire, and a C17 staircase, provenance unknown. Stone balustraded terracing extending some 300 yards in 3 flights south of the house, attached to a raised and paved terrace before the house. Some £500.00 spent on the house in the C19 by the Earls of Winchelsea.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.