You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 183847  

Print Page



© Mr Peter Hyde

IoE Number: 183847
Location: CHURCH OF ST JAMES, BURNLEY ROAD
  ALTHAM, HYNDBURN, LANCASHIRE
Photographer: Mr Peter Hyde
Date Photographed: 04 June 2002
Date listed: 17 December 1968
Date of last amendment: 17 December 1968
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

ALTHAMBURNLEY ROADSD 73 SE3/44Church of St. James17.12.1968-II*

ALTHAM BURNLEY ROAD SD 73 SE 3/44 Church of St. James 17.12.1968 - II* Church, C16, with tower 1859, chancel restored at same date. Sandstone rubble, stone slate roof. West tower, nave with aisles, chancel. Short 3-stage battlemented tower in perpendicular style has arched west doorway with figure stopped hoodmould, a 2-light window above, and belfry with 2-light openings. Three-bay nave and aisles; all windows of 3 round-headed lights with hollow spandrels, hollow chamfered reveals, and hoodmoulds, (that at east end of south aisle with remains of figured stops). Low gabled porch to 1st bay of south aisle, with part of Norman font built into side bench. Two- bay chancel in perpendicular style. Interior: nave arcade of octagonal columns with moulded caps, rounded arches; arch-braced roof with collars and longitudinal bracing to ridge (apparently ex situ, as wall posts intersect window heads);' north wall of chancel has late medieval piscina (low, with ogival head), south wall incorporates semi-circular and diaper-worked tympanum of Norman door (re-located), east window of north aisle has cinquefoil tracery, and head made of re-set medieval slab carved with a sword; head of door in south aisle similarly carved with cross and sword; octagonal font with panels carrying Instruments of the Passion given by Abbot Paslew of Whalley; C19 pews with doors and identical moulded cast iron finials to the ends; 4 C19 hatchments, and various C18 and C19 wall tablets. History: first established as vicarage of church of Whalley; until 1870 was parish church to Accrington.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.