You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 184431  

Print Page



© Mr Peter Sargeant

IoE Number: 184431
Location: RIVINGTON CHURCH,
  RIVINGTON, CHORLEY, LANCASHIRE
Photographer: Mr Peter Sargeant
Date Photographed: 15 August 2003
Date listed: 17 April 1967
Date of last amendment: 30 January 1987
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

RIVINGTONHORROBIN LANESD 61 SW14/177Church of the Holy Trinity17.4.67(Formerly listed as RivingtonChurch)

RIVINGTON HORROBIN LANE SD 61 SW 14/177 Church of the Holy Trinity 17.4.67 (Formerly listed as Rivington Church) - II Parish church. Probably 1666 rebuild of early C16 chapel, altered and restored in late C19. Irregularly coursed sandstone with large quoins, slate roof. Nave with south porch and north vestry, chancel. Small plain building with 3 square-headed 3-light windows on each side, the lights on the south side round-headed and those on the north side square-headed, C19 gabled porch between the centre and western windows on the south side, modern vestry in equivalent position on north side. West gable wall has a wide elliptical-headed doorway, and an octagonal bellturret with square base partly corbelled out and a conical roof with tall weathervane. Chancel has a window of 3 round-headed lights in each side and a segmental-headed east window of 5 lights with a transom. Interior: roof of 4 collar trusses with bracing to tie-beams and collars; oak screen with some parts late medieval; late C16 oak octagonal pulpit on a stem, with 2 linen-fold panels in each side; on north wall a genealogical painting copied in 1835 from a copy of 1821 of a C16 original relating to the Pilkington family (which was damaged by fire in 1834); C18 brass chandelier with fluted body and 2 tiers of arms. History: chapel of ease built in late C15 rebuilt or restored by Richard Pilkington c.1540 (Pilkington family held Rivington as tenants-in-chief of Duchy of Lancaster, built Rivington Hall, q.v.) Reference VCH Lancs V, pp.286-293.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.