You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 186815  

Print Page



© Mr Roger Ashley

IoE Number: 186815
Location: CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL, LONDON ROAD (east side)
  UPPINGHAM, RUTLAND, RUTLAND
Photographer: Mr Roger Ashley
Date Photographed: 03 September 2007
Date listed: 10 November 1955
Date of last amendment: 10 November 1955
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

SP 8699-8799UPPINGHAMLONDON ROAD4/77(east side)10.11.55Church of St Peter andSt Paul

SP 8699-8799 UPPINGHAM LONDON ROAD 4/77 (east side) 10.11.55 Church of St Peter and St Paul GV II* Parish church. C14, enlarged and heavily restored 1861 by Henry Parsons of London. Squared stone and ashlar with Welsh slate roof to chancel and low-pitched lead roofs to nave and aisles, scarcely visible behind battlemented parapet. Tower and spire, nave and aisles, north porch of stone and south porch of wooden trellis-work, chancel and chancel chapels. Tower of 3 stages with angle buttresses, moulded string courses and 2-light bell-openings. West doorway with continuous mouldings and fleuron decoration in square surround. Spire with 3 tiers of traceried and gabled lucarnes. Nave of 4 bays (lengthened by one bay in 1861), arcade of double-chamfered arches (retaining some original painting of tendrils) carried on clusters of 4 shafts to north with polygonal abaci and to south with quatrefoil abaci. Window tracery, Decorated to north and Perpendicular to south, wholly renewed. C19 roof. Two-bay chancel entirely of 1861, Decorated in style, divided from chapels by arcade on black marble columns with naturalistic capitals. C16 pulpit. Font of 1853 designed by G E Street for All Saints, Cottesbrooke, Northants. Four small Norman demi-figures, representing Christ blessing, a saint blessing and 2 angels, discovered during work in the C19 and now placed either side of the south door and the east window of the North chapel.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.