© Mrs Pamela Weston
CHURCH OF ST DIONYSIUS, CHURCH SQUARE
MARKET HARBOROUGH, HARBOROUGH, LEICESTERSHIRE
Mrs Pamela Weston
26 August 2002
25 July 1952
Date of last amendment:
25 July 1952
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
SP 7387 MARKET HARBOROUGH CHURCH SQUARE
911/1/1 Church of St Dionysius
Parish Church originally built as a Chapel of St Mary in Arden (qv) during the earlier part of the C13. Architectural features of present church mainly C14 and C15. The town is dominated by the early C14 grey ashlar tower with its fine crocketed brooch spire. Rest of church in coursed sandstone rubble with crenellated parapet. Buttresses. Nave and Chancel with Clerestory windows, Aisles and North and South Porches. Crocketed cross as finial at east end of both Nave and Chancel. South face of tower has large sundial.
Inside, galleries of 1836 remain. Fine achievement of Royal Arms of 1660 at West end. Good C15 timber roof was restored, in same style, in 1954. Fragments of medieval wall painting discovered in 1959 at east end of North Aisle. The Church of St Dionysius is a prominent feature of many near and distant views of the town. It is also the dominant feature of several town centre groups.