You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 189642  

Print Page



© Mrs Pamela Weston

IoE Number: 189642
Location: CHAPEL OF ST MARY IN ARDEN, GREAT BOWDEN ROAD (east side)
  MARKET HARBOROUGH, HARBOROUGH, LEICESTERSHIRE
Photographer: Mrs Pamela Weston
Date Photographed: 11 August 2002
Date listed: 25 July 1952
Date of last amendment: 19 September 1977
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

GREAT BOWDEN ROAD5303(East Side)Church of St Mary in Arden(formerly listed as

GREAT BOWDEN ROAD 1. 5303 (East Side) Church of St Mary in Arden (formerly listed as SP 78 NW 7/178 25.7.52. Chapel of St Mary in Arden) II GV 2. Originally the Parish Church of Market Harborough. Rebuilt circa 1693 to the designs of Henry Dormer on the site of the earlier church. South Porch with Norman "Beaks Head" decoration remains and C14/early C15 outer doorway. Church a simple oblong building now roofless. Of stone rubble faced with limestone ashlar, very shallow gables and light cornice. The stonework of the windows is plain. Porch of ironstone with C17 limestone quoins one of which bears date 1660 and initials, possibly those of the mason. A few feet of rubble wall east and west of the porch (only visible in the interior) also survives from an earlier building. Monuments. Early C14 effigy of a lady, broken and defaced, remains in South Porch.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.