© Mrs Pamela Weston
THE TOWN HALL, HIGH STREET (east side)
MARKET HARBOROUGH, HARBOROUGH, LEICESTERSHIRE
Mrs Pamela Weston
26 August 2002
25 July 1952
Date of last amendment:
25 July 1952
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
The Town Hall
SP 7387 1/43 25.7.52.
1788. Island building. Red brick with stone dressings including bands between
floors. Hipped slate roof. 3 storeys. Rectangular plan with short side facing
north up High Street. This facade has outer brick pilasters extending from 1st
floor band to eaves band and cornice. Arcaded ground floor of 3 bays with impost
bands, stone arches and footings. Arcades now filled in. Centre double wooden
doors. 1st and 2nd floors have Venetian windows with stone architraves. Main facade
faces west. Arcaded 5-bay ground floor. Centre breaks forward with 3 windows under
a pediment with moulded stone capping. Tympanum has arms of the Earl of Harborough.
5 barred sashes with gauged flat red brick arches. Southern facade has 3-bay arcade
and 3 storeys of windows above this. Some sashes with glazing bars remain but windows
mostly blocked. Eastern facade has arcaded ground floor but only 1 centre top storey
window above. Ground floor has good brick vaulting - originally used as a Market
Hall and Butchers Shambles. Cellar has similar treatment. Said to have been built,
by the Earl of Harborough, "partly for the tammy manufacturers" (ref White 1863).