© Mr Brian Arnold
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, MAIN STREET (north side)
TWYFORD AND THORPE, MELTON, LEICESTERSHIRE
Mr Brian Arnold
15 February 2005
01 January 1968
Date of last amendment:
01 January 1968
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
SK 71 SW TWYFORD AND THORPE MAIN STREET
9/145 Church of St.
Parish church. C12, C13, C14, C15. Chancel rebuilt 1775.
Restored, and vestry added, 1849. Organ chamber added 1889.
Porch rebuilt 1858 and 1980. Coursed and squared ironstone and
limestone ashlar with ashlar dressings and slate and copper
roofs. Ashlar quoins. West tower, nave with clerestory, north
aisle, vestry and organ chamber, chancel, south porch. West
tower, C14 and C15, 3 stages, has moulded plinth, 2 chamfered
string courses, shield frieze, coved eaves, 4 gargoyles,
crenellated parapet and 4 pinnacles. 4 shallow clasping
buttresses, that to south west with 2 small niches and figurative
panel with crest. First stage has to west a cusped double lancet
with hood mould and mask stops. Second stage has to south, a
clock. Bell stage has on each side a cusped double lancet bell
opening with coved reveal, hood mould and mask stops. Nave, 3
bays, has chamfered sill band and crenellated parapet and gable
with cross. South side has 3 buttresses with 3 setoffs and 3
full height Perpendicular triple lancets with transoms, foiled
heads, hood moulds and mask stops. North side has clerestory
with plain parapet, and to east, 2 squat C15 double lancets with
4 centred arched heads, hood moulds and mask stops. North aisle,
3 bays, has 3 buttresses and to west, an angle buttress. Coved
eaves. Central cove moulded C13 doorway with hood mould, flanked
to east by a C15 graduated cusped triple lancet, and to west by a
similar double lancet, both with hood moulds and mask stops.
Vestry and organ chamber has to north, a gable with 3 buttresses
and 3 chamfered single lancets. East side has an angle buttress
and a re-set C15 cusped double lancet with panel tracery and hood
mould. Unbuttressed chancel, single bay, has coped east gable
and blank sides. East end has a Decorated triple lancet with
hood mould, and above it a datestone inscribed '1775'.
Unbuttressed south porch has chamfered plinth and re-set double
chamfered C14 doorway with responds and hood mould. In each
side, a Geometrical double lancet, C19. Porch interior has stone
benches and common rafter roof. Moulded C13 south doorway with
impost band and C19 door. Interior has double chamfered and
rebated tower arch, C13, with shafts and moulded capitals, with
crested Perpendicular style glazed screen, 1958. Nave arcade,
late C12, 4 bays, attributed to the masons of Oakham Castle Hall.
Round piers, the central one with a Corinthian capital. West
respond has a lobed leaf capital, east respond a leaf-crocketed
capital with dogtooth ornament. Remaining piers have moulded
capitals. Chamfered and rebated round arches with hood moulds.
Restored C15 roof with billet moulded tie beams with bosses, arch
braces and wall shafts on mask corbels. North aisle east end has
a depressed 4 centred arched opening to the organ chamber.
Restored C15 roof with moulded tie beams, double arch braces and
mask corbels. Vestry has a stained glass window, 1889. Chancel
has C13 chamfered and rebated arch, restored, with a keeled north
respond on an octagonal corbel. North side has a C19 round headed
opening to the organ chamber and vestry. East end has a panelled
wooden dado and reredos c.1891, and a stained glass window, 1960.
Low pitched plain roof. Fittings include square font, C13, with
dogtooth ornament on 3 corners and a lobed leaf on the fourth.
East side has a foliated cross in a ring. Furnishings of 1849
include octagonal oak pulpit, lectern, stalls with poppyheads,
plain benches and prayer desk. 2 late C17 curved chairs. 2
double donations boards, 1824. Monuments include 3 re-set C18
tablets to the Ashby family.