© Mr Richard M. Brown FRICS
THE MANOR HOUSE, 34 OLD ROAD SE13
LEWISHAM, LEWISHAM, GREATER LONDON
Mr Richard M. Brown FRICS
04 January 2007
30 August 1954
Date of last amendment:
12 March 1973
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
OLD ROAD SE13
4424 Lee Public Library
[Formerly listed as
No 34 - The Manor
TQ 3975 15/L66 30.8.54. Public Library)]
1771-2, probably by Richard Jupp. 2 storeys and basement, 5 windows.
Slightly projecting centre 3-bay section has half-storey over.
Yellow stock brick. Stone entablature with fluted architrave,
garlands in frieze. Blocking course over. In attic storey
4 flat pilasters support cornice. Low pitched hipped slated roofs.
Ground floor cill string. Rusticated stone basement. l-storey and
basement, 2 window right wing, partly rebuilt. 2-storey and basement
left wing, blank but for one round window on lst floor and one small
door. Gauged flat brick arches to sash windows with glazing bars in
stucco lined reveals. 7 stone steps, with side walls and wrought
iron inner rails, to tetrastyle porch with leafy capitals, garlands in
frieze and pediment over. Later inscription in tympanum: "MANOR HOUSE".
Porch now glazed. Cast iron gallery to flat roof centre.
South (garden) front. Similar style and proportions but 3 middle
windows in large round bow. Moulded stone architraves and cornice to
windows. In right wing long dog-leg stair to entrance set back under
round arch, 3-light sash window above, under plaster fanlight
tympanum. Round arched niche under round window at right.
Inside in hall screen of columns with leafy capitals. Reading room
with large South bow has ceiling and cornice in shallow, Adam style
plasterwork. Similar plaster work and screen of Ionic columns in
ante-room to East, Enriched window architraves, reveals and shutters.
Similar South room on West side. lst floor landing has arched screen
with Ionic columns; groin vaulted passage behind, with Adam style
decorative plaster work on walls. Central niche; and niche at stair
head. Enriched cornices to principal upstairs rooms. House belonged
at one time to Julius Angerstein who married the widow of its 1st
owner Thomas Lucas. In 1796 he sold it to Francis Baring, foyer of
Lee Public Library Wallis and Gate Piers and Pentland House and Walls
form a group.