You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 210821  

Print Page



© Mr Peter Hyde

IoE Number: 210821
Location: HOULDSWORTH MILL, HOULDSWORTH STREET (west side)
  STOCKPORT, STOCKPORT, GREATER MANCHESTER
Photographer: Mr Peter Hyde
Date Photographed: 27 August 2007
Date listed: 10 March 1975
Date of last amendment: 10 March 1975
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

1.HOULDSWORTH STREET5086(West Side)Houldsworth MillSJ 8993 13/102

SJ8993 HOULDSWORTH STREET, Reddish 701-0/13/102 (West Side) 10/03/75 Houldsworth Mill GV II* Cotton spinning mill. 1865 with early C20 additions. By AH Stott of Oldham. For Henry Houldsworth. Red brick, slate roofs. A symmetrical double mill, two 4-storey blocks of 18 bays separated by the narrower 5-storey 9-bay central block with large clock and date plaque on parapet and flanking stair towers. Single-storey ranges front the spinning mills. In a flamboyant Italianate style with pilasters rising between windows, the top storey windows round-arched and towers having key-pattern brickwork, deep bracketed eaves, pyramid roofs. The mills are approximately 12 bays deep; tall octagonal stack with corbelled crown and original engine house to rear, centre. INTERIOR: fireproof construction composed of transverse brick vaults supported by cast-iron columns and beams. The central block housed warehouse, offices and main entrance; the flanking spinning mills housed preparation on ground floor and long spinning mules above, a total of 130,000 spindles in rooms 35m wide. Powered processes also in the attic storeys, lit by full-length glass panels in the mansard roof, probably early C20. The original engine house had horizontal shafts driving the main upright shafts in the end towers. The spinning blocks were re-equipped C20, when new engine houses were built for separate inverted-compound engines and external rope races replaced the upright shafts. Other C20 additions include enclosed staircase at S end, covered loading shaft on N end, 5-storey block attached to NW. HISTORY: Henry Houldsworth was a spinner in Little Lever Street, Manchester who installed a steam engine in 1796. He moved to Glasgow in partnership with his brothers and by 1816 the firm employed 622 people, (Fit ton, p.148) .The builder of this mill was the nephew of the founder of the firm. An outstanding example of a mill designed as the centrepiece of a model community; the quality of composition, reflecting the different uses of the complex, show that the architectural form was of primary significance. The firm of Abraham, Stott was one of the most important mill designers of the period. (Fit ton RS: The Arkwrights, Spinners of Fortune: Manchester: 1989-: 148)

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.