You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 211984  

Print Page



© Mr F. Bryan Basketter LRPS

IoE Number: 211984
Location: WORSLEY COURT HOUSE, BARTON ROAD (north east side)
  SWINTON, SALFORD, GREATER MANCHESTER
Photographer: Mr F. Bryan Basketter LRPS
Date Photographed: 10 June 2000
Date listed: 29 July 1966
Date of last amendment: 02 September 1987
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

WORSLEYBARTON ROADSD 70 SW(north-east side)1/27Worsley CourtHouse (formerly

WORSLEY BARTON ROAD SD 70 SW (north-east side) 1/27 Worsley Court House (formerly listed under 29/7/66 Worsley Road) G.V. II Court house, now public function suite. 1849. For the 1st Earl of Ellesmere. Timber-framed structure with slate roof. The consciously picturesque massing centres round a large hall with various lower wings all of 1 storey. Projecting stone plinth and vertically studded framing which has decorative square panelling in the numerous gables. The tall gable of the hall is flanked by smaller gabled wings which project forward. Between them a loggia and balustrade form a porchway to the studded door which is off-centre and has a Tudor-arched moulded surround. Windows are generally of 3 to 6-lights with ovolo-moulded timber mullions, leaded casements and some with transoms. The gables have decorative barge boards and finials. Projecting wing to left with large stone chimney stack. The right of the hall has a massive projecting stone chimney stack which is terminated at the top by a pyramidal roof to a tower-like feature in an Italianate style. Adjacent to it is the principal window which is a 6-light gabled oriel with mullions and transoms. The library which adjoins to rear is not included in this entry. The revival of timber-framing in 1849 is a particularly early occurence and is one of a handful in the Worsley area.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.