© Mr Mike Widdas
CHURCH OF ST. THOMAS, BROAD LANE (north side)
SADDLEWORTH, OLDHAM, GREATER MANCHESTER
Mr Mike Widdas
05 May 2001
19 June 1967
Date of last amendment:
03 July 1986
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
SADDLEWORTH BROAD LANE
SD 90 NE (north-west
3/20 Heights Chapel,
St. Thomas Old
as Church of
19/6/67 St. Thomas)
Church, now redundant. 1765 on west door lintels. Hammer-
dressed watershot stone with graduated stone slate roof. 3-
sided gallery plan with small chancel and later vestry wing.
4 x 2 bays. Quoins. The west has twin doors with
architraves, dated lintels, and cornices, on either side of
a semi-circular-headed window with Y-tracery, impost
capitals and keystone. A continuous dripmould is stepped
above it. 2 similar windows on the first floor under one
hoodmould. Coped gable and C19 bell-cote. The side
elevations have similar windows on two tiers and are mostly
blocked. Chancel has canted sides, a lean-to roof and
Venetian east window. Vestry wing repeats a similar Venetian
window. Interior: galleries on Tuscan columns with C19
timber parapet walls. Tie-beam roof trusses (probably C19)
have queen posts and arched struts: all chamfered and
decoratively painted. Stencilled paintwork around chancel.
Wall plaque memorials to the Buckley family.