© Ms Pamela Jackson LRPS
CHURCH OF SAINT JOHN, OLDHAM ROAD (south side)
FAILSWORTH, OLDHAM, GREATER MANCHESTER
Ms Pamela Jackson LRPS
08 October 2000
24 March 1966
Date of last amendment:
24 March 1966
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
SD 80 SE FAILSWORTH OLDHAM ROAD
6/40 Church of
24/3/66 St. John
Church. 1845-6. E. H. Shellard for the Church Commissioners.
Hammer-dressed stone with slate roof. Nave with clerestory
and aisles; west tower and chancel flanked by organ chamber
and vestry. 6-bay nave and aisles with projecting plinth,
sill band and corbelled eaves.Each bay has a weathered
buttress and paired lancet windows under a continuous
hoodmould. Spherical triangle clerestory lights. Gabled
north porch. 4-stage tower with angled weathered buttresses,
door in first stage, 2-light plate tracery window on second
stage, clock faces with elaborate gabled surrounds on the
third stage, 2-light belfry openings, and a broach spire
with gabled lucarnes above a dogtooth-enriched band with
corner gargoyles. 2-bay chancel with 3-lancet east window.
Interior: nave arcade with clustered columns having moulded
capitals and bases. Arch-braced roof trusses on columnar
corbels with carved heads. Arcaded parapet to west gallery
supported on cast-iron columns and now accommodating the
organ. Stained glass and timber fittings. Rev. R. Loxham,
Illustrations of churches, vol. 4, 1846-55.