You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 212546  

Print Page



© Mr Brian Lomas

IoE Number: 212546
Location: CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS, WAR HILL
  LONGDENDALE, TAMESIDE, GREATER MANCHESTER
Photographer: Mr Brian Lomas
Date Photographed: 27 June 2007
Date listed: 01 November 1966
Date of last amendment: 01 November 1966
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

SJ 99 NELONGDENDALEWAR HILL4/86Church ofSt. Michael and1.11.66All Angels

SJ 99 NE LONGDENDALE WAR HILL 4/86 Church of St. Michael and 1.11.66 All Angels G.V. II* Church. C15, the tower of c.1486. The interior, vestry and clerestory by Shellard 1854. Hammer-dressed stone with ashlar clerestory and graduated stone slate roof. Nave with aisles, aisle chapels, south porch and west tower. Chancel and north vestry. Perpendicular style. 6 bay aisle (and chapel) with porch in bay 2. Weathered plinth and castellated parapet. Each bay has a weathered buttress and stepped 3-light window with cusped head and dripmould which is terminated in carved heads. The porch has a 4-centred arch opening, angled buttresses and castellation. 6-bay clerestory with windows of a similar design. 4-stage tower with angled weathered buttresses, stone bands,castellated parapet and crocketed corner finials. 3-light west window with Perpendicular tracery, clock face above and 2-light belfry openings. Stair turret in one corner. 2-bay chancel with 5-light transomed Perpendicular-style east window and vestry to north. Interior: nave arcade on octagonal columns with moulded heads. Braced tie-beam nave roof and arch- braced chancel trusses which are supported on enriched corbels. High Victorian alabaster pulpit by H. Hems (1885). Former painted reredos above chancel arch. Chandelier (1755). Stained glass. Barrel-shaped stone font.Monuments: 2 early C15 recumbent stone effigies in Staveleigh chapel (south). Reginald Bretland (1703), semi-reclining figure on supporting plinth with latin text. Also inscribed slab to John Pycton, rector (1517) - defaced and no longer visible. A well positioned church which retains much of its Medieval character externally and dominates the skyline for miles around.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.