© Samantha Jones
CAVENDISH MILL, CAVENDISH STREET
ASHTON UNDER LYNE, TAMESIDE, GREATER MANCHESTER
21 August 2000
24 September 1990
Date of last amendment:
24 September 1990
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
The following building shall be added:
ASHTON-UNDER-LYNE CAVENDISH STREET
SJ 99 NW
4/101 Cavendish Mill
Cotton spinning mill (empty at time of inspection, July 1990). 1884-5, built for
the Cavendish Spinning Co Ltd. Architects: Potts, Pickup and Dixon of Oldham.
Main: contractors: Storrs, Son and Co Ltd. Brick; steel girders rest on steel
(or possibly iron) window lintels with concrete floors and flat roof. Because
the mill is built on an awkward site it has an unusual plan. Main block (6
storeys to Ashton Canal, S; 5 storeys to Bank Street, N) has a short extension
to NE (forming an L-shaped plan overall) incorporating the engine house which
occupies most of the lower 2 floors; attached to the SE face of the mill is
an octagonal stair turret wrapped around the stack; a 2-storeyed office block
extends further to the SE. The offices and stack, and the engine-house range
are corrected by the boiler house and form 3 sides of a small entrance courtyard
(facing Cavendish Street). Carding sheds to N with perimeter wall. Main mill
block 14 x 9 window bays; large 9-pane windows under blue brick lintel bands
(concealing iron or steel girder pads); continuous projecting sill bands.
Ground floor windows under elliptical arches. One loading bay towards canal.
Simple parapets. End bays emphasised by projecting slightly. Engine house
distinguished by tall round-headed windows (some with simple tracery). Polygonal
stair turret with large windows to each facet, the 7th stage marked by paired
round-headed windows to each facet under a parapet with lombardic frieze. Topmost
courses of stack removed. Office block windows with curious stone lintels.
Irregular N elevation. Entrance with stone capped piers and massive iron vehicle-
guards. Interior not inspected. Circular section iron columns with shaped
brackets support steel girders.
Note: The form of construction used here (ie concrete floors, rather than brick
arched floors) on steel. girders and lintel plates was pioneered by Edward
Potts. He applied (unsuccessfully) to have the method patented in 1884. As
well as being the earliest such structure in Ashton, it is one of the earliest
in Greater Manchester (and probably the world) and is consequently of great
significance. For Stott see D Gurr and J Hunt, The Cotton Mills of Oldham
(1985) page 25; for Ashton, J Haynes, Cotton in Ashton (1987), pages 47-8.