You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 212760  

Print Page



© Mr Barrie S. Dixon

IoE Number: 212760
Location: CHURCH OF ST MARGARET, DUNHAM ROAD (north side)
  ALTRINCHAM, TRAFFORD, GREATER MANCHESTER
Photographer: Mr Barrie S. Dixon
Date Photographed: 19 August 1999
Date listed: 12 July 1985
Date of last amendment: 12 July 1985
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

SJ 78 NEALTRINCHAMDUNHAM ROAD(north side)7/8Church of Saint-Margaret

SJ 78 NE ALTRINCHAM DUNHAM ROAD (north side) 7/8 Church of Saint - Margaret - II* Church. 1853-5. W. Hayley. Extended westward 1923-5 by W. Tapper. Rock faced stone and ashlar with slate roof. Nave, aisles, south porch, transepts, crossing tower, sanctuary with vestry and side chapel. The nave extends 2 bays further west than the aisles as part of an incomplete scheme of 1923. The 4-bay aisles have projecting plinth, weathered buttresses, sill band, eaves parapet and 3-light C14 style windows. The porch is in bay 2 and has diagonal butresses. Clerestory has 2-light windows. Transepts have angled buttresss with gablets and crocketed pinnacles (missing on south side) and 3-light 2-tier windows. 3-bay chancel has 2-light clerestory windows, angle buttresses with crocketed pinnacles and a 7-light 2-tier rectilinear window. The 2- stage central tower, which had a steeple untill 1927, has angle buttresses with offsets and gablets, a clock face, 2- light belfry openings in each face with arched ogee dripmoulds, and castellations. Interior: free Perpendicular nave arcade with ornate angelic hammerbeam roof and carved musicians at the springing of the arches. Chancel has sedilia piscina, massive free-standing late C19 alabaster reredos (behind which an earlier reredos survives) and Very elaborate canted Gothic panelled ceiling. Tall crossing arches. Fittings included carved screens, organ chamber, pulpit and various stained glass. An exceptionally imposing example of that phase of the Gothic Revival which just preceded High Victorian Gothic.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.