You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 213423  

Print Page



© Ms Pamela Jackson LRPS

IoE Number: 213423
Location: CLEGG HALL, CLEGG HALL ROAD (south side)
  MILNROW, ROCHDALE, GREATER MANCHESTER
Photographer: Ms Pamela Jackson LRPS
Date Photographed: 23 September 2000
Date listed: 10 August 1951
Date of last amendment: 10 August 1951
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

SD 91 SWMILNROWCLEGG HALL ROAD(south side)3/85Clegg Hall10/8/51

SD 91 SW MILNROW CLEGG HALL ROAD (south side) 3/85 Clegg Hall 10/8/51 G.V. II* House. c.1610. For Theophilus Ashton. Dressed stone, hammer- dressed stone and graduated stone slate roof. 5 x 3 bays with 2 storeys (plus attic level) all raised above a full basement. Near-symmetrical elevation with projecting plinth. Imposing central 2-storey porch approached by flight of steps has a segmental-headed door opening with moulded surround and capitals and is flanked by paired columns with cushion capitals. The upper floor rises above an entablature, the 5-light mullion and transom window being flanked by single columns on pedestals with enriched capitals and a frieze all of which have fanciful details in a debased classical manner. 2 and 3-light mullioned basement windows and four 4-light mullion and transom windows to the upper floors (except for the principal room which has 5 lights and one to the right which is partially blocked). All windows are double-chamfered and have hoodmoulds, that to the first floor being continuous. Series of 3 coped gables with 2 and 3-light windows, finials and rainwater spouts. The sides and rear are also characterised by 3 similar gables. Windows are generally 3, 4 or 5-light mullion and transomed or 1, 2 or 3-light mullioned in the case of the basement or attic. The rear has a central door with 4- centred arch lintel and a porch which is gabled and has spiral carving to the kneelers. The left (of rear) appears to have been altered at some stage and a door was inserted to right probably in C19. Groups of diagonally set chimney stacks rise from an axial spine wall. Interior: all 2 rooms deep, the porch leading directly into the principal room which has a fireplace under a large chamfered segmental arch. The beams are heavily moulded with multiple rolls. The staircase (centre rear) is framed in timber and winds round an octagonal newel post. The doors generally have 4-centred arch lintels. What little remains of the roof structure employs tie-beam trusses and wind bracing. Generally a powerful building which apart from the effects of deep-set decay has remained virtually unaltered. Victoria County History, Vol. 5, 1911. H. Fishwick, History of Rochdale, 1889.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.