© Mr David H Swain ARPS
CHOWBENT UNITARIAN CHAPEL, BOLTON OLD ROAD (south side)
ATHERTON, WIGAN, GREATER MANCHESTER
Mr David H Swain ARPS
14 March 2001
15 July 1966
Date of last amendment:
27 July 1987
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
ATHERTON BOLTON OLD ROAD
SD 60 SE
2/3 Chowbent Unitarian
15/7/66 as Chowbent Chapel)
Chapel, originally Presbyterian. 1721 replacing an earlier
building of 1645. Flemish bond brick with stone dressings
and slate roof. 3-sided-gallery.plan.A 2-storey entrance
wing of 1901 dominates the front elevation. It has a gable
pediment, an entrance with fanlight and keystone, a sundial,
a commemorative plaque and an oculus within the tympanum.
Abutments to either side obscure the original entrance
doors. The 3-bay side elevations and 4-bay rear have a stone
plinth, quoins and an eaves cornice on shaped brackets. Each
bay has a round-arched window which is keyed into a
continuous band on both first and second floor levels. C19
vestry to right. Elegant open cupola with lead roof and
weather-vane. Interior: an outstanding and virtually
complete survival with a central 3-decker pulpit surrounded
by box pews on 3 sides. The pews have raised and fielded
panels and have only been replaced on the rear gallery.
Turned oak columns support the gallery and a second tier the
roof. C18 commemorative tablets include one above the
pulpit to J. Wood, died 1759, which has swept sides and is
topped by an urn. Studded oak vestry door rehung from the
earlier 1645 chapel. Stained glass, some by Shrigley and
Hunt. The 1901 interior is not without quality especially in
its timber and glass fittings. Generally a fine example of
well preserved early C18 non-conformist architecture.
J. Wright, The storey of Chowbent Chapel, 1921.