You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 213476  

Print Page



© Mr David H Swain ARPS

IoE Number: 213476
Location: CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST, MARKET STREET (north side)
  ATHERTON, WIGAN, GREATER MANCHESTER
Photographer: Mr David H Swain ARPS
Date Photographed: 14 March 2001
Date listed: 15 July 1966
Date of last amendment: 27 July 1987
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

ATHERTONMARKET STREETSD 60 SE(north side)2/8Church of St John the Baptist(formerly listed as church of

ATHERTON MARKET STREET SD 60 SE (north side) 2/8 Church of St John the Baptist (formerly listed as church of 15/7/66 St John Market Place) G.V. II Church. 1879. By Paley and Austin. Dressed stone, ashlar dressings and clay tile roof. Nave, clerestory and aisles with south-west tower; chancel flanked by side chapel and 2- storey vestry. Gothic Revival in Decorated style. 5-bay nave and 2-bay chancel all under a continuous roof. The aisles have weathered buttresses, 4-light windows with Decorated tracery and hoodmoulds on the south and 3-light flat-headed windows on the north. Square clerestory lights. The chancel has a 6-light transomed window above fleuron motifs in a chequered panel. The buttress to its right includes an enriched statue niche. 2-storey organ chamber and vestry with octagonal corner turret. 7-light west window. Coped gables and eaves parapet. The monumental 4- stage castellated tower stands outside the south aisle. It has octagonal piers at each corner which rise as conically roofed pinnacles, a 4-light window above the door, clock faces on the third stage and 3-light belfry openings below a statue in canopied niche. Interior: clustered columns with moulded capitals and bases support a double-chamfered nave arcade. The whole is faced in ashlar. Hammer-beam roof trusses. Sedilia and piscina. Timberwork includes stalls, pews, organ casing and intricately carved choir screen. Alabaster font and stone pulpit. Stained glass; east window Kempe, 1896. An imposing building which exhibits fine craftsmanship both inside and out.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.