You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 213492  

Print Page



© Mr Peter Sargeant

IoE Number: 213492
Location: CHURCH OF ST. JOSEPH, CHAPEL STREET (south side)
  LEIGH, WIGAN, GREATER MANCHESTER
Photographer: Mr Peter Sargeant
Date Photographed: 16 April 2001
Date listed: 27 July 1987
Date of last amendment: 27 July 1987
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

LEIGHCHAPEL STREETSD 69 NE(south side)6/24Church ofSt. Joseph

LEIGH CHAPEL STREET SD 69 NE (south side) 6/24 Church of St. Joseph II Roman Catholic church. 1855. By Joseph Hansom. Hammer- dressed stone with fishscale bands to slate roof. Wide nave with polygonal chancel, west tower, south porch, north and south chapels and a sacristy. Gothic Revival. 9-bay nave with projecting plinth, weathered and gableted buttresses and 3-light windows with Geometrical tracery. Small gabled chapels (of later date) and porch. 2 and 3-light chancel windows. Vents on roof. 3-stage tower with angled buttresses and saddle roof; octagonal stair turret in one corner, arched west entrance, statue and niche at second stage, 4 cusped lancets at third stage and 2-light belfry openings below the gables which have a statue finial and are flanked by elaborate pinnacles. The roof has gabled dormers and a cast-iron ridge crest. Interior: the unusually wide hammer- beam roof has arch braces in two directions. It failed structurally early in its life and slender cast-iron columns were inserted to support the hammer-beam ends. West gallery. Timber fittings. Stained glass. Various statuary. Elaborate altar and reredos incorporating a heavily enriched canopy above a crucifix. Brightly painted chancel ceiling.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.