© Mr Peter Sargeant
CHURCH OF ST. PETER, FIRS LANE (north side)
LEIGH, WIGAN, GREATER MANCHESTER
Mr Peter Sargeant
06 May 2001
27 July 1987
Date of last amendment:
27 July 1987
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
1480/1/28 FIRS LANE
Church of St Peter
Church. 1880-1. By Paley and Austin. Brick with red sandstone dressings and slate roof. Nave and chancel separated by a central tower. Aisle and vestry on north side only; porch on south. 3-bay nave and 2-bay chancel with low weathered buttresses, continuous sill band and 2-light flat- headed windows, some paired, with Decorated tracery and brick hoodmoulds. Gabled porch with statue niche above arched doorway. Coped gables. Bold tower with pyramidal roof has heavy weathered buttresses, a 3-light transomed window, flat-headed belfry openings and an ashlar frieze below the parapet. 4 and 5-light transomed east and west windows. Lean-to aisle roof but no clerestory lights.
INTERIOR: circular columns with moulded capitals and bases support moulded brick arches in the north arcade. Heavily moulded brick responds support the tower arches and a ribbed quadripartite crossing vault. King-post roof trusses with curved wind braces to nave and hammer-beam roof trusses to chancel. Alabaster pulpit said to have come from Military Chapel of Manchester Cathedral. Stone font and reredos. Timber fittings. Stained glass.
One of Paley and Austin's more radical and consequently impressive designs.