You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 213512  

Print Page



© Mr Patrick Norris

IoE Number: 213512
Location: DAM HOUSE, CHURCH ROAD (north side)
  TYLDESLEY, WIGAN, GREATER MANCHESTER
Photographer: Mr Patrick Norris
Date Photographed: 29 May 2002
Date listed: 18 July 1966
Date of last amendment: 27 July 1987
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

TYLDESLEYCHURCH ROADSD 60 SE(north-west side)2/43Administrationblock at Astley

TYLDESLEY CHURCH ROAD SD 60 SE (north-west side) 2/43 Administration block at Astley Hospital (formerly listed 18/7/66 as Dam House) II* House, now hospital. Recut stone above entrance reads "erected by Adam Mort and Margaret Mort 1650" but with extensive additions to rear in early and late C19. Rendered brick and brick with stone dressing and slate roof. 5 x 3 bays with 3 storeys. The C19 ranges which make up the quadrangle are largely of 2 storeys and continue to use mullioned windows and vernacular motifs. The elevation consists of gabled crosswings which project to either side of the house-part, a 3-storey porch within the left angle and an additional bay to the left. The porch bay has a studded, cross-boarded door with Doric columns, an open pediment and a fanlight. Each crosswing has a canted 3- storey high bay window with enlarged openings on the ground floor. Otherwise the majority of the double-chamfered stone mullion windows appear to be unaltered (on front only). They have from 2 to 6 lights and the principal rooms have transoms and hoodmoulds. 3 gables and projecting chimney stacks to side elevations. Rear is an extension of early C19 as is the 4-bay wing to rear right which includes a chapel at first floor level. The other 2 sides of the quadrangle are in stock brick, of late C19, and include a coach house. Interior: altered on the lower storeys but retaining many original and Regency features including an inglenook fireplace in the left room, beams, elaborate Gothickdoor surrounds and doors. Splendid Gothic roof trusses to chapel. The upper floor retains 6 and 2-panel doors with strap hinges and timber-framed crosswalls with wattle and daub infill are fully exposed. Brick vaulted cellar - C19. Victoria County History of Lancashire, 1907.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.